Thursday, July 27, 2006

Alton Brown Rules

I am a huge fan of "Good Eats", Alton Brown's Food Network cooking show. Actually, to call it a cooking show does it no justice. His show is really cooking meets chemistry and physics at the molecular level. This geeked out stuff is really up my alley. What is the difference between baking soda and baking powder? What does the protein from an egg actually do for any given recipe? These questions and much more will be answered by any given episode of "Good Eats". The protein that holds all these cool facts together in the form of entertainment is the food. The act of cooking and sharing food with my family is, at times, magic. Granted, it is often rote and hurried, but having spent many thousands of hard inherited dollars on a new kitchen, I am determined to make time spent in said kitchen have some meaning. Why not, after all? Our life is full of time consuming things. These activities, for the most part, take us away from one another. When the time we do have together lacks quality, for one reason or another, I really feel motivated to make something count. If the rest of my house weren’t such a shithole, I would invite more people to break bread with us, but alas, I am ashamed of our housekeeping. Getting back to Alton, I heard him on the Bob Edwards show on XMPR. He was being interviewed about his road food show. He pointed out the historical importance of food in the social context of society. We cannot loose it, Alton contends. Well I second that, but I fear it is too late. I think it is lost, but I invite Alton and anyone else to come over for dinner, damn the upswept floor, dirty windows, and piles of laundry. I invite the world to come to my table, and help me become a better human.

No comments: